Late August Inspiration Board


I've decided to start doing regular 'Inspiration Board' posts. In college we would gather inspiration in a scrap book to constantly look back on and draw inspiration. Sure there is Instagram and my phones camera roll, but images get jumbled up and lost and I just want somewhere to clearly look at them all together. So I can further analyse what it is about the images that has drawn me to them in the first place. As I photograph live music more than portrait or off stage band photography, I've decided to include a few live photos that inspire me as well. I always try to keep portrait and live music photography separately and I think it's time I stopped doing that and accepted that they blend together and find a way to utilise that and blend them together within my own work.


I'm always drawn to old grainy film photographs. And black and white especially - I'm not sure what it is about them that draws me to them. I think it's the simplicity. By removing colour your eyes are less distracted and drawn to the features that really stand out. But also I'm definitely a heavy sufferer of 'golden age living' constantly looking back on the past and wishing that was when I was around. Photography and music is where that really takes it toll on me. But it's also my biggest inspiration within my own artwork. A lot of photography now days is so crisp and clean, and whilst I can appreciate it within other peoples work, it's not for me.

This collect of images spans from a range of time, a couple of them are contemporary photographs (Timothee Chalamet, Courtney Barnett), a lot of them are from the 90s and a few are from a mix of eras, the date I am not one hundred percent sure of.



















No comments